AFS Intercultural Programs Philippines and U.S. Embassy in the Philippines are pleased to announce the opening of applications for the next cycle of the U.S. Department of State Sponsored Program: Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program (2018-19 batch). This program is one of the prominent U.S. government-funded exchange programs and is designed to expand communication between the people of the United States and partner countries the interest of promoting mutual understanding and respect. YES program offers full scholarship to high school students in 51 countries. Students will live with host families, attend a U.S. high school, engage in activities to learn about American society and values, acquire leadership skills, and help educate Americans about their countries and cultures. The YES program is funded by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs – U.S. Department of State, in partnership with lead grantee American Councils for International Education and YES program consortium.
The goals of the program are:
- to promote a better understanding among youth from selected YES countries about American society, people, institutions, values, and culture;
- foster lasting personal ties;
- engage the exchange participants in activities that promote mutual understanding, respect for diversity, leadership skills, and an understanding of civil society during their exchange in the U.S.;
- enhance Americans’ understanding of foreign students’ countries and cultures;
- increase the capacity of organizations in participating countries to engage youth in activities that enhance mutual understanding, respect for diversity, leadership skills, and an understanding of civil society through alumni activities.
- Philippine citizen residing in the Philippines at the time of application, selection and preparation for travel; Birthdate must be between August 2, 2000 and August 1, 2003.
- Currently enrolled in a public/private junior or senior high school and is among the top 25% of academic performance in grade level; graduating senior high school (Grade 12) students are not eligible to apply.
- Demonstrated leadership potential in school and/or community.
- Have an equivalent of a B average or better without failing grades.
- Have not completed more than 11 years of primary education nor received a high school diploma (senior high school) by the start of the program.
- Demonstrated sufficient English language ability to speak and study in English.
- Sufficiently healthy to participate.
- Preferably have not previously studied in the U.S.
- Committed to cultural immersion in the U.S. through a home-stay experience.
- Able to meet cross-cultural challenges with maturity, humor and open mind.
- Plans to share his/her U.S. experience with his/her home and community upon return.
- The program can support Persons with Disabilities (PWD) and encourages their participation.
YES 2018-19 REQUIREMENTS:
- Pre-Application Form; filled-up and with passport-size ID photo;
- Photocopy of most recent Form 137 or transcript of records from Philippine high school;
- Photocopy of school ID; or valid government ID
- Signed consent by either parent or legal guardian at the bottom of this form
All applications must be sent by mail and must be received by AFS PHI on or before July 3, 2017 (application deadline date- all documents must be in the AFS PHI office on or before the deadline) and must be sent to:
ATTN: SENDING PROGRAM
AFS Intercultural Programs Philippines
Unit 1607 16/F Antel Global Corporate Center
No. 3 Dona Julia Vargas Avenue, Ortigas Center
1600 Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
E-mail address: [email protected]